Review: Tony Award Winning “In the Heights”

Alyssa Kennedy, Writer, Photographer

This year’s drama program has been legendary. From the Advanced Production play the Standard Deviation to the double feature of Lies About High School and Lies About High School 2, Dwayne B. Craft and Mary B. Davis have proved there is nothing the two of them can’t achieve. More importantly, there’s nothing that the students of Bob Jones High School can’t achieve, especially on stage.

Today In the Heights took the glorious drama department to another level. Directed by Mary B. Davis, the Tony award-winning play portrayed the story of Nina (Emily McDowell), a young Stanford University student who upon losing her scholarship returns home to face the expectant faces of her hardworking parents. The story also follows Usnavi (Christopher Gunner), a Deli and Snack Shop owner, and Vanessa (Genesis Philips), a young girl trapped at home with her “dysfunctional” mother.

The through line is not original, “There’s no place like home.” But the story is original all the same–emboldening and unforgettable. Maybe it is the strong Hispanic influence of the musical that can boast characters from Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and many other descents. Perhaps it is the swagger-intense Samuel Jackson (Benny) strutting across the stage like he owns the place. Maybe it is Emily singing “Just Breathe” so powerfully that it stunned the audience into forgetting applause.

We could sit around and complain about the mechanical troubles we saw on stage – Nathan Rodes (Piragua Guy) singing his heart out even though his microphone refused to amplify and carry his voice. But even then we have to take our hats off to the guy who stood his ground, puffed his chest and gave it all he had regardless of if he would be heard or not.

The live orchestra in the pit also added something magical to the musical. I could not have been alone in the first few scenes wondering if the pit would overpower the singers, but when the vision of Mary B. Davis came to life in the singers, actors and dancers, there was no question who the stars would be.

My favorite scene, The Club, was pulled off so magnificently I nearly leapt to my feet right then and gave a standing ovation. I wasn’t alone in this feeling, “It was great,” sophomore Malya Byers said, “I want to salsa now.”

This is a musical you do not want to miss. “I loved Erin [Shockey] her accent and stuff. One day at practice she was practicing and stuff, I was like “you’re so cute,” said senior Jeneva Salter.

The accents were good. And to some, this is part of what made the musical so spectacular. Spanish teacher Lesa Clough said, “I think this was the best musical I’ve seen at Bob Jones and I think I’ve seen all of them… I think that’s because it was the hardest. They had to learn the choreography – there were more than fifty people on stage at one point! – they had to learn accents and sing and dance! It was phenomenal.”

During performance Principal Robert Parker gave out a live stream of tweets. He tweeted, “They aren’t just singing, they are singing entire songs in Spanish. For the first time in my career, I’m speechless.”

From the enchanting Emily McDowell (Nina) to powerful presence of Basia Marrota (Mrs. Rosario) to the charming Guerin Tidwell (Sonny) –  there is not a single moment of this musical that didn’t enthrall and demand your attention.

Five dollars to see this magic is a steal.