Drama Slays at District

Emily McDowell, Writer

In the 2015 Walter Trumbaur Theatre Festival at the district level, Bob Jones came back with many awards for their hard work. This competition took place on November 6th and 7th at Lee High School where all of the theatre students in the district competed in a variety of events.

In the individual events, Bob Jones brought back 70 superior ratings in a range of musical, classical, contemporary, comedic, and dramatic solos and duets that are moving forward to state competition at Troy University. Along with the acting IE’s, Bob Jones also had students represent their amazing technical theatre program with two young girls earning a perfect superior rating in costuming. These ladies , Samantha Baily and Yanzhi Lai, are part of the phenomenal costume team that creates costumes for all of the Bob Jones theatre shows. Overall, 130 students will be attending state festival this year even after adding new restrictions and requirements to move forward in competition.

For the one act competition, the Bob Jones Patriot Players are taking their play “The Axeman’s Requiem” to state competition on Trumbaur December 4th. Along with winning a best in show award, they also won best scenery; best costumes; ten all star cast members: Anna McAbee, Seth Slaton, Emily McDowell, Caleb Tollison, Maggie Moore, Daniel Darnell, Olivia Carroll, Abigail Hubbard, Briana Caudle, and Anna Spengler; and the best supporting actor award going to Kamron Sanderfer.

District was a successful, exciting, and fun experience for all the students who got the opportunity to attend. Bob Jones senior tech director Sierra Anderson and student director of the one act both agree that this year felt more organized and less urgent which only adds to the greatness and ease of the event. Every year the Walter Trumbaur Theatre Festival is bringing new works of art to the district to grow and learn about the art of theatre. Congratulations to all the students who attended Trumbaur and break a leg to all who will be competing at Troy!