Split: A Review

Sarah Lovelady, Writer

Most people saw the Split movie trailer on Twitter back in 2016, and many noted how this movie would be the craziest movie of the year. That assessment was right on the money! This horror/thriller movie is best known for its director, M. Night Shyamalan, and its strange plot.

Split is about a middle-aged man named Kevin played by James McAvoy. Kevin seems like an ordinary person, but he has Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), formerly known as multiple personality disorder. In the movie, Kevin has 23 different personalities. He still has one more glued to him, that he can’t seem to get out. Kevin abducts three teenage girls, and throughout the film, they fight for survival.

Alaina Bransford, a senior at Bob Jones, said, “It was insane! I honestly wasn’t expecting all of that, but it was so good and there were so many plot twists. I love those types of movies.”

The main cast in the movie did an outstanding job. The actors that played the friends, Haley Lu Richardson (Claire) and Jessica Sula (Marcia), are not very popular actresses; however, this film will definitely move them up on the scale. The main actors, Anya Taylor-Joy and James McAvoy, have starred in several different movies, including The Chronicles of Narnia (McAvoy), X-Men (McAvoy), Penelope (McAvoy), Morgan (Taylor-Joy), and The Witch (Taylor-Joy).

The movie’s atmosphere was convincing, and the cinematography in the movie accentuated the intensity of the plot.

The film had a budget of $10 million, and with the film just coming out to theaters all around the country Friday night, it pulled in a total of $46 million dollars in the box office. IMDb rated the movie a 7.6/10 and Rotten Tomatoes gave it 76%, but an average score of 6.4/10.

Even though this film has only been out for a short period of time, it has done a solid job at the box office and gotten some above-average reviews from movie critics. This movie is all sorts of creepy and has a bit of humor. If you’re looking for a thriller movie night with your family or friends, then this is the movie for you!

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

Netflix Original Series: 13 Reasons Why

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

Fate of the Furious: Big Thumbs Down

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

Bob Jones Drumline Competes in Ohio

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return Review

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

The Hate U Give: Timely Book, Heart-wrenching Story

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

Mass Effect Andromeda Review

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

Portraying Portraits in Art 1

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

In Guard We Trust: One Reporter’s Spin on Color Guard

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

Spring Fest – DIY Art Showcase in Birmingham

• Split: A Review

Arts & Entertainment

Art School Ready

Split: A Review