Trump’s 100th Day: Success or Fail?

Rebecca Shin, Writer

It’s President Trump’s 100th day in office, but do his policies and actions represent a dutiful president?

According to NYDailyNews, CREW (Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington) filed around 100 complaints, lawsuits and FOIA requests (FOIA is a law giving citizens the right to acquire information from the government). However, he has improved the country in some ways.

Some students are in the dark in regards to specifically what Trump has done in office so far. “Honestly I’m not exactly sure what he has achieved during his first 100 days, but I imagine it’s not all that he promised,” senior Audrie Broadway said.

For those who are unclear of our President’s progress, here’s a simplified breakdown of some of Trump’s popular and unpopular contributions during his first 100 days:

• The unemployment rate has improved since his election
  • The stock market has also gone up
  • Authorizing several surprise bomb strikes in Syria
  • Doing away with the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal
    • The TPP was unpopular to many due to its secretive nature, favoring big companies, and cutting jobs/pay
  • Immigration arrests are at an all-time high and illegal border crossings have fallen
  • Undoing Obama’s blocking of the Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipeline projects and going forward with its development
  • Increasing military tensions with North Korea

There are two sides to every action that Trump has authorized. For an example, his move with going ahead with the Keystone and Dakota pipeline projects angered environmentalists since the methods used in the extraction of oil “pumps about 17% more greenhouse gases [into the atmosphere] than standard crude oil extraction,” according to CNN. However, the projects will create hundreds and thousands of jobs, improving the economy.

Gloria Chun, a senior, said, “I don’t agree with him in some parts because they are so extreme. […] He is trying to make America come first, but the way he has people riled up against each other makes me question our nation’s future,” she said concernedly.

Another senior, Rachel Toler, said, “I don’t think he’ll make it all four years.”

However, others are more hopeful of the country’s direction: “I pray that he will do good things in the future!” Audrie said.

But whether President Trump will complete all four years of presidency with ethical and dutiful leadership will be something people worldwide will look out for.