Why Is Homecoming So Stressful?

Why Is Homecoming So Stressful?

Sarah Lovelady, Writer

Ah, Homecoming.  A night filled with dancing and socializing amongst your fellow peers. Weeks before the dance, girls will go out with their friends or mothers to buy the perfect dress. Kemi Anderson, a sophomore, knew exactly what she wanted from her perfect dream dress, “The type of dress I like is beautiful, fitted, and filled with rhinestones, and super sparkly.”

Every girl awaits for the right person to ask her to Homecoming, but sometimes going with a group of friends is even better. Going with a group is better because you don’t have to be tied to one person. Going with a date, you’re expected to be with your date the entire time, and not be with your friends.

Next, you have to arrange dinner plans and reservations for that night of Homecoming. You have find out how many people are in your group. Next, you have to find a ride to the actual Homecoming dance! Then there are arrangements with florists, posing for pictures around Madison, and planning to meet with friends after Homecoming…  I know stressful, right?!

If a girl is on court, she is even more stressed.  Homecoming court girls have to buy like three different dresses, including their Homecoming dresses, and they have to go out to dinner with the court group. Some of the girls might not know or socialize with the other people, but they have to adapt to them. The senior court ladies must be very stressed because only one gets a crown!

You probably think it’s only buying a dress for Homecoming. You’re wrong. The guys don’t usually think Homecoming is all that stressful, but one guy did. Aaron Decoux, senior, said, “Homecoming was really stressful for me because I went to the barber shop to cut my eyebrows, and he cut scratched my eyelid! I ended up having to get a new outfit and everything.”