The Right to Fly: Faith and Appearance Profiling

Garrett Paschal, Writer

A couple of weeks ago, a Muslim family was kicked off of an United Airlines flight for no legitimate reason. A Muslim family has claimed they were profiled after they were kicked off the flight from Chicago. The mother of the family, Eaman-Amy Saad Shebley, posted on Facebook: “Shame on you ‪#‎unitedAirlines‬ for profiling my family and me for no reason other than how we look and kicking us off the plane for “safety flight issues” on our flight to DC for the kids spring break. My three kids are too young to have experienced this.”

Bob Jones student and Christian Ryan Burdette said, “I think all people should be treated equally. If they weren’t suspected of actually harming anyone on the air plane, then they had no right to be kicked off.”

In a video included in her post, a woman identified by a local NBC News affiliate as one of the attendants on the flight, said to the family, “We’re going to ask that you step off the aircraft with all your belongings.” The husband spoke up by asking why, and the flight attendant replied, “Because they are investigating.”

Bob Jones student Kay Davis stated, “I think people are in a panic right now and they are looking for a scapegoat; they picked Muslim people because it is an easy way out and they don’t want to try hard. I think the family deserves free air miles.”

A man identified by NBC News as the pilot said in a second video that the family must deplane because “it is a safety of flight issue.”

American born Muslim and Bob Jones student Mohammed Zaitar, said, “The situation was racist. I think they deserve an apology and I feel bad that their plane tickets and preparations were wasted. If it happened to me, I would try to sue the airline company.”

This is another example of profiling that needs to stop.  Religion and appearance should not decide the right to be on a plane.

For more information on the Muslim faith, consider attending an Interfaith Club meeting with Mr. Congo.  The meetings are on Wednesdays.