Should Teenagers Have the Right to Vote?

The White House

President Barack Obama casts his ballot during early voting at the Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center in Chicago, Ill., Oct. 25, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

Maggie McNamara, Writer

In our society there are certain things we look forward to being able to do. At fifteen you get your permit, at sixteen you get your driver’s license, and at eighteen you graduate high school and vote. Most of these events happen at reasonable ages, but many believe that the voting age should be lowered to sixteen. Although there are many valid arguments for lowering the voting age, I am currently against it.

As stated in the article Lower the Voting Age by FairVote, there were studies done to show that the earlier voters cast ballots the more likely they are to make a habit out of it, and in the long run could help the low voter turnout. Sophia Norris previously wrote an article on this topic and stated that she believed teens should be able to vote, and that adults underestimate our knowledge of current events. There was a study done, as stated in Lowering the Voting Age, showing that teens are just as educated on current events and political issues as the older generations.

Another argument for lowering the voting age is at sixteen we can drive, work without hour restrictions, and pay taxes. Teens argue that if we do all of that we should also be able to vote. And with making it eighteen many people will miss the cutoff and not be able to vote until they are twenty-two; therefore, they will be able to legally drink before voting for president.

Many people are against lowering the voting age. In the article, Five Pro and Cons of Lowering the Voting Age by ConnectUS, it is stated that a con of letting younger people votee is that they are easily persuaded by what the are exposed to by their surroundings.

Mrs. Bergeson, a teacher at Bob Jones, said she believes the voting age is at a good age. She stated that since you are considered an adult at eighteen, it is an appropriate age to be eligible to vote. Likewise, freshman Hillary Worley agrees that the voting age is good where it is at. She believes that younger people would have a tendency to vote for whoever is more popular. She also stated that eighteen is a reasonable age since you are becoming an adult and it would have more of an effect on you.

Although there are very good arguments for lowering the voting age, I agree with Mrs. Bergeson and Hillary Worley. At eighteen you are more affected by the turnout than you would be at sixteen. You wait a whole sixteen years to drive; you can wait a few more to vote.