What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Trevor Stewart, Writer

Many holidays have dark origins and Valentine’s Day is no exception to that rule.

Considering the large turnout for the women’s marches not too long ago, it seems extra ironic that we are about to celebrate a day that has a hint of misogyny at its roots. Don’t forget the men, whom the holiday is named after, were all martyred.

Cupid? That’s Not Weird at all…..

Honestly, are you okay with a winged baby being in charge of who you fall in love with? Who decided that an infant who’s still in diapers should be armed with a bow and arrow to shoot around willy nilly? Pause for a moment and think about it, an armed toddler that thought alone should be enough to send shivers down your spine.

Who’s the true beneficiary of Valentine’s Day?

According to CNN, the average person who celebrates Valentine’s Day spends over $145, and the estimated amount spent is expected to be around $19.7 billion. Restaurants and chocolate companies will make a killing. Though we can’t forget the card companies and it is expected that Americans will spend a whopping $860 million on greeting cards alone. Obviously, you could go the homemade route but that’s considerably more difficult if you are artistically challenged (like myself) or struggle with expressing your feelings.

The issue as a teenage student

Walking through the hallways on Valentine’s Day has always felt uncomfortable for me. While that may be because I had no valentine, I believe it was more so because it seemed like a competition to see who could buy off the most extravagant gift. Personally, I always felt like genuine love did not need a day on the calendar to manifest itself. True love was an everyday thing where an effort was made to make your significant other smile and brighten their day.

An outsider being invited inside

Valentine’s Day always felt like everyone wanted to show off how in love they are with the world. It seems like we are all outsiders being granted backstage passes to the concert we would normally only see from the nosebleeds.  As a result, people without that special person in their life were almost subconsciously reminded how lonely they were. Valentine’s Day could also double as national lifeguard day because it seems like we are thrown into the ocean of love and all need someone to throw us a lifesaver.

I know what you’re thinking

How can he hate the day we have set aside for love? Honestly, I don’t. I see why it is needed. My issue isn’t with the concept of the day, just the modern stigmas that come with it. Also from an economic standpoint, I am very aware that Valentine’s Day is an excellent stimulant. Regardless, have a great day and go tell someone that you love them.

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

United: A Lesson in PR

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

How to Study for Your AP Test

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

President vs. President: Wire-Tapped Trump Tower

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

Hands-On Learning: Inspiring All Students

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

The Growing Pains of Rezoning: Worth It

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

Flint Everything but Igniting a Flame

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

Prom-Night: Opinions

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

Electives, What are they Good For?

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

Education on… The Birds and the Bees?

• What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day

Opinion

Is Your Outward Appearance Important?

What’s Wrong With Valentine’s Day