Electives, What are they Good For?

Laurel Hannah

Multimedia Publications is an excellent elective to take; however, Creative Writing or Multimedia Design are prerequisites. They’re both really fun too.

Laurel Hannah, Writer, Photographer

It’s that time of the year again, the thing we all have been waiting for: it’s time to make a four-year plan. While making the four-year plans aren’t fun, they set up our classes for the next year. Choosing classes can be tricky, but electives can help ease the stress created by a rigorous schedule. Thankfully, Bob Jones High School has a plethora of electives to choose from, offering a variety of different subjects to learn about.

Here are some benefits of taking an elective:

• Stress Relief

Electives are a fun way to relax and take a break from the core classes while opening up your mind to something new. Sophomore Douglas Zhang said, “Electives give you time to relax and you learn new skills.”

• Life Skills

Some electives teach cool life skills that can be useful outside of school. Taking a Hospitality and Tourism class or Culinary class can teach you how to cook. Taking a Drama class can assist with public speaking and can be a confidence builder.

• Fun

While core classes can be more demanding and busy; electives are normally more laid back.

• Make New Friends

Electives are a great place to make friends with similar interests. Both Band and Choir are great places to make new friends while sharing a mutual interest in music and teamwork.

• Expand Your Horizons

Finally, taking an elective can help you try new things you might not normally get to try. High school is supposed to be where students experiment in different classes to find a profession they might be interested in.

Sophomore Brook Heather said, “electives can help with your future job.”

Overall, electives are the underrated hero that help students through high school and open doors to opportunities in future careers.