Patriot Path-The Way of the Future

Olivia Carroll, Writer

Students need time to do things they enjoy, stay healthy, cultivate well-rounded social lives, and keep up with all of their schoolwork.  Bob Jones students had a taste of this on Wednesday.

Kristi Combs, a James Clemens Instructional Partner and writer for the ABPC blog said, “Giving high school students a ‘free’ hour during each day can increase their productivity, improve their emotional health, and also provide better support for clubs and other activities that promote a positive school culture.” 

Last year, James Clemens High School introduced a “Refuel Hour” for the 2015-2016 school year. During this time, students at James Clemens were free to participate in a variety of clubs and many other activities. The Madison Record published a report on this Refuel Hour: “Students eat lunch, attend club meetings, receive tutoring, meet with advisors and mentors… and more.”

For the students of James Clemens, it was a happy occasion. James Clemens senior Lauren Wasley said, “I think it is proactive because by having this break, students won’t have to worry about catching up on work after school. They also have a chance to be involved in activities in clubs if they aren’t able to participate in meetings after school.”

The students of Bob Jones were upset that they did not receive this same opportunity. Why did James Clemens get this time, but the students of Bob Jones did not? Was that fair if they are in the same school system? These questions, among others, went unanswered until now.

This year, the faculty of Bob Jones answered the requests of the students and chose to introduce a new version of Refuel Hour for Bob Jones, which has appropriately been named Patriot Path.

Instead of a single hour for lunch and activities like the Refuel Hour at James Clemens, students of Bob Jones will have an hour every Wednesday between third and fourth block to participate in various activities. Bob Jones students will be given the opportunity to participate in activities ranging from tutoring and club meetings to ping pong and poetry slams. This opportunity opens Bob Jones students up to a world of activities they never would have participated in before.

The first session of Patriot Path was introduced to Bob Jones on August 17, 2016 and was welcomed with a positive attitude from the students. Isabella Brengman, a junior at Bob Jones, said the following after participating in the first session of Patriot Path, “I’m excited to see who will come to the next meeting and to learn more!”

Ms. Vandagriff, the Patriot Path coordinator, stated, “The point is building relationships–making connections between student to student, teacher to student, and within the faculty.”

When asked about the future of Patriot Path, Ms. Vandagriff said, “We are constantly changing as far as efficiency and functionality. We will go off of student input to see what is going to mesh best with this body of students. The focus is the students.”

Senior SGA President Alex Clark said, “I know that Patriot Path will have a positive impact on the students of Bob Jones. Having a break from the stress of school helps us get recharged and come back ready to learn.”

It seems that Patriot Path is off to a good start as it leads the Bob Jones Patriots to a brighter future.