BJ vs JC: Your Friday Night

Noah Vermillion, Writer

Bob Jones will drive across town on Friday to take on James Clemens, and the BJ student body needs to represent.

Varsity basketball player Chase Fiddler said, “The crowd affects us because our adrenaline rushes, and our hearts beat quicker. It’s the best feeling in the world playing in front of everyone in our community.”

The Bob Jones Varsity Boys’ team is in a rebuilding year.  Mr. Givens, the Bob Jones athletic director, has noticed improvements. “I have seen more energy from the team as a whole from this point in the season last year. We press more often, push the ball down the court more aggressively, and draw more fouls while driving the lane. Defensively, I have also noticed we appear to be taking more charges.” Coach Tiggs, the varsity boys’ coach, said that the JC game is a rival game and that JC is an area opponent that determines post-season seeding.

The Bob Jones Varsity Girls’ team will also be playing. Coach Reynolds, the varsity girls’ coach, thinks JC will test our girls’ team with their outside shooting ability. “They tend to shoot the ball well from outside. We will have to make sure we communicate at all times and rotate out to their shooters without fouling them or over playing them when we are on defense.”  Thankfully, our girls’ team has great speed, and they are “determined not to be outworked.”

Varsity girls’ player Abby Bates said that they try to treat every game like it’s the most important game. They don’t want to lose to JC since that hasn’t happened since JC was established, but otherwise, they come to play every game, no matter the opponent.

The James Clemens varsity boys’ team is more established, which means it will be a tough game. Coach Tiggs said that our Bob Jones boys’ team strength is transition. Will it be enough to upset James Clemens? You’ll have to come to the game to find out.

Game Times

JV Girls 4:30

Varsity Girls 6:00

Varsity Boys 7:30