The Track Team: Sprinting to the Finish

Photo taken from Brad Anderson’s twitter (@LittleGeneral23)

Trevor Stewart, Writer

The Track Team seems to really be hitting its stride.

Well, maybe that was a bit of an understatement considering the boys are ranked #2 in the 60-meter dash in the nation. The only team ranked higher than our Patriots is a club team (meaning they combine students from multiple schools) from Georgia.

Coach Jefferson couldn’t be more proud of his team. In addition to stating that the sky’s the limit for this season, he said that the boys’ track team is currently ranked in the top 5 in the state and a good showing at the state meet should easily put the team in the top 3.

When asked about the 60-meter dash, Coach J felt that “Hard work got them there. A lot of our top guys play multiple sports and that’s a testament to their dedication.”

The team also has high hopes. Senior Josh Williams was initially unaware of how high he and a few of his teammates were ranked in the 60m dash. After viewing the rankings, he said, “Seeing the times made me feel like all our hard work has paid off.” Furthermore, he set the bar pretty high for the team by expressing that a good showing should win state and otherwise he will be disappointed.

A couple examples of the dedicated athletes who are state placers include A.J. Harris (2nd 100-meter dash) and Chase Fiddler (1st place high jump). Chase is also currently playing basketball and traveling to Birmingham to compete in track meets on Saturdays. A.J., meanwhile, has committed to playing football at Ole Miss.

As the indoor season is winding down, the team is preparing for the last chance meet (on the 27th & 28th) where members will get one final opportunity to qualify for state. The state competition will take place the following weekend on February 3rd and 4th.

While the indoor season is wrapping up, the outdoor season is right around the corner. Outdoor track should begin mid-February. For any further information, feel free to stop by room S210 and see Coach Jefferson.