New England Patriots: GOAT?

Noah Vermillion, Writer

The New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons met in Super Bowl LI (51). The Patriots pulled off a fourth quarter comeback and defeated the Falcons 34-28.

Bob Jones Coach Rose tweeted, “Patriots Brady and Belichick are the best ever!! #GOAT!!”

With the Falcons being one of the closest NFL teams to Bob Jones geographically, many BJ students wanted the Falcons to pull off a win. Isaiah Hatchett, a junior, wanted the team to win because the combination of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones dominated this year.

On each side, there were multiple former Alabama, Auburn, and West Alabama players on the field. Former University of Alabama player and current Falcons player Julio Jones is a local favorite, and many fans might have wanted an Alabama alumnus to get his first Super Bowl touchdown

Both teams played tough football in the first half, but Atlanta scored the first three touchdowns. A few consecutive holding penalties in the second quarter gave New England a little momentum. The Atlanta defensive line kept New England in check and limited the damage. An interception gave Atlanta a 21 to 0 lead, but the Patriots were able to pull off a field goal with two seconds left in the second quarter, making it 21 to 3. Most pregame predictions did not see this coming.

Sydney Carter, a senior, said, “The Patriots are going to win because Tom Brady is getting close to retirement and wants to go out on a high note and right now they’re predicted to win.”

The Atlanta Falcons opened the third quarter with another touchdown, a 28-3 lead. The Patriots eventually answered it with a touchdown but then missed the field goal. The Falcons struggled near the end of the third quarter.

The Patriots marched down the field to begin the fourth quarter. Falcons player Grady Jarrett delivered two great sacks, but it was not enough. The Patriots came alive and made the most of each play. It did not take long before they closed the gap, 28-28, and then clenched the win in overtime.

Coach Rose tweeted, “Anybody can be redeemed. Anybody can rally from a deficit. Down 25 in the second of the SB, no problem!! #Comeback!!!!”

The New England Patriots made history in Super Bowl LI, setting 20 new records for the Super Bowl. They truly earned the title of “Greatest of All Time.”