What to Expect during Bball Playoffs: Evolution

Ethan Worcester, Writer

It’s a big week for Bob Jones basketball as both varsity teams head to Hanceville for play-offs. The varsity boys will play Vestavia Hills after defeating Sparkman on Saturday, and the varsity girls will face Hoover. Students should turn in their permission slips by Tuesday if they want to attend the games during the school day and witness some of the best basketball in the state.

The game of basketball is a beloved sport around the world, but the way it is played has slowly evolved over time. When basketball was first played back in 1891, there was no 3-point line and most of the players shot lay-ups instead of jump shots. As the players got better in skill, new rules were put in place to accommodate this. One such rule was the addition of the 3-point line in 1979. It was scarcely used at first, but it has become more popular amongst all types of players. In fact, even big men have started shooting threes, which was unheard of back in the 80’s and 90’s.

The style of today’s game has been under scrutiny because of the increased emphasis on shooting, but some also believe the changes have been a positive thing for the game. Zach Langston, a fan of the game, stated, “I believe teams are now more efficient than ever because of the 3-point shot. Also, in my opinion, the game is more exciting than ever to watch. Watching guys run around screens and pull shots from deep is just much more fun to watch than a big man backing somebody down and finishing with a post move.”

Ben Redmill, a basketball player for Bob Jones High School, said, “Originally the 3-point line was good for the league, but as it has grown in popularity, it has started becoming a bad direction for the game of basketball.” Another basketball player for Bob Jones, Elijah Madkins stated, “Not only has it changed offenses, it has also greatly impacted defenses and how they are played. Many have gone from zone to man because of all the great talent on offense and the amount of danger the 3-point line presents teams.”

Another basketball player for Bob Jones, Elijah Madkins stated, “Not only has it changed offenses, it has also greatly impacted defenses and how they are played. Many have gone from zone to man because of all the great talent on offense and the amount of danger the 3-point line presents teams.”

Most fans appreciate and like the fact that basketball has evolved into a guard dominant, jump shooting league.

What kind of basketball will fans see on Thursday? You’ll have to attend the game to find out.

• What to Expect during Bball Playoffs: Evolution

Sports

Bob Jones Cheer Goes to Nationals!

Sports

New England Patriots: GOAT?

Sports

Love to Toss, Hope to Catch

Sports

Switching Gears, Swishing Hoops

Sports

Girls Soccer: Road to State

Sports

The Track Team: Sprinting to the Finish

Sports

Bowling Team Needs YOU

Sports

National Championship: Alabama Outmatched in Rematch

Sports

BJ vs JC: Your Friday Night

Sports

What Makes Nate Great?