Girls’ Soccer Kicking It

Laurel Hannah, Writer, Photographer

The Bob Jones girl’s soccer season has started once again and the teams are thriving in the midst of their busy schedule. Both of the girl’s soccer teams played on Tuesday night against Huntsville. Sadly, the junior varsity team lost two to one after they gave their all. The varsity team tied the Huntsville girl’s varsity team with a score of one to one. Overall, the season has been pretty good this year for the Bob Jones girl’s soccer teams with more wins than losses.

The JV Coach, Tommy Byers says, “The season is going great, we have a diverse group of girls that really work really hard as a team.”

Amina Downey, a junior on the varsity team said, “My favorite part of the season so far is that Coach Luke is focusing on more on bringing the team together. This year we are better than we have been.”

Sadly, soccer is an underappreciated sport and isn’t valued as much as football or basketball. The Bob Jones girl’s soccer teams, despite doing well this season, don’t have much of an audience. The girl’s soccer teams work hard and deserves our support. The game is thrilling and is fun to watch. The girl’s soccer teams show their Patriot pride both on and off the field by good sportsmanship and leadership.

Mrs. Polak, a teacher at Bob Jones and a sponsor for the Bob Jones girl’s soccer team says, “I love getting to know all the girls and watching them play. This year the JV team is doing really well; they have gotten better at connecting passes.”

This past Friday, the Bob Jones varsity soccer team had a Kick for a Cure game against the James Clemens’ varsity soccer team at the Madison City stadium and supported the cure for cancer. Despite losing two to zero, it was one of the bigger games of the season. The game honored all the cancer survivors and families that lost a loved one to cancer by having a walkout before the game. The Kick for a Cure game brought people together through their love of soccer and supported a greater cause.

Overall, the girl’s soccer team is doing a great job representing Bob Jones High School with excellence on the field.