Prom: Drinking Dangers

Kay Davis, Writer

For many, Prom is the experience that really makes high school feel official. It is a deciding factor in how grown up some kids may feel, and for others it’s just a fun hangout with friends. For those that choose to drink on this night, while it is underage and therefore against the law, doing so and then driving is a big mistake.

In 2013, 28.7 million people admitted to driving under the influence of alcohol; that’s more than the population of Texas. Of those people, 2 out of 3 will be involved in a drunk driving accident. When you consider the fact that 40% of 10th graders nationally drink, the numbers start getting scary. Being convicted of a crime when you’re not even out of high school is scary enough, but being the reason that someone dies is a nightmare. Even your siblings could get hurt as a result, or anyone you know.

“I used to drink and drive,” stated a senior at Bob Jones High School that wished to remain anonymous. “I almost crashed into a tree and resolved to change my ways.” Not only does drinking and driving put you and your passengers in danger, but on a night like Prom when a lot of high school kids are on the road, you’re creating a major safety hazard.

That’s not the only thing you need to worry about during prom season, though. Drinking at after-parties is a major risk when considering how many strangers are attending, and all of them could harbor bad intentions. Cynthia Nance, a former student chaperone, stated that she thinks students in general can protect themselves better without being under any influence. She also stated that teachers and chaperones don’t always catch things when they happen, so it’s best if students can help keep themselves safe by not purposely getting into dangerous situations.

Prom should be a fun, exciting evening for many reasons. Injury, and in worse cases death, should not be one of them.