Raising Funds and Awareness for the Cure

Harper Dawes, Writer

Some events are synonymous with October: leaves changing color, corn mazes, haunted houses. If you live in Huntsville/Madison County, then it means it’s also time for the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run 5k run hosted by Huntsville Hospital. This is a month filled with festive activities, and the weather is perfect, but these aren’t the only reasons October is a great month. This month is also dedicated to breast cancer awareness. “Over 6,000 registered runners and walkers were present Saturday for the 5k and with the support team members it was estimated to be a crowd over 10,000,” said Keith Cromartie, 2016 Ribbon Run participant.

The run takes place every year in downtown Huntsville. “The weather was beautiful. We ran through the historical district and saw all the beautiful Huntsville homes. Some of the people whose houses were on the 5k route came out to cheer us on,” said Gaby Cromartie, 2016 Liz Hurley Run participate.

This year, it was held on October 15th. Beginning at 8:00 a.m., runners and walkers took their mark. After the 5k was completed, there was a survivor’s walk at 10:00 a.m.

Alex Simmons, a cross country runner here at Bob Jones, runs this race every year. He stated, “I run in the 5k because my mom’s friend had breast cancer.” Alex runs in honor of his mother’s friend, but you don’t have to know someone who has been stricken with cancer to participate. Out of the kindness of your heart, you can decide to run, not for a specific person, but for the entire cause.

“It was really fun. People were wearing pink tutus, all different kinds of pink shirts, some even people had crowns on their heads. Liz Hurley was on hand to start the race and when you crossed the finish line, she was there giving everyone high-fives,” said Beth Skarupa, a first-time runner in this year’s 5k. 

Several teachers also participated. Mrs. Martin, the forensics teacher ran with her family, and Mrs. Panagos ran with her son.

The event raised money went toward purchasing new equipment to identify breast cancer earlier and brought together members of the community, young and old. 

Support for breast cancer isn’t limited to a race. Going around Bob Jones, you can’t help but see the signs made by students in HOSA. There are breast cancer posters on almost every bulletin board in the school. Decked out in various shades of pink, the signs raise awareness about the statistics of the disease. 

Sports teams also have “pink out” games in which they wear pink jerseys or socks. Football will have its awareness game this Friday. Coach Rose tweeted, “Wear Pink Friday Night to raise awareness for breast cancer. #FindACure”