How to Choose a Career

Sydney Pennywell and Toni Glover

In a world where there are countless job possibilities, it is hard to choose which one is right for you. Take a little time and do some simple research. For example, you can search “jobs that involve (insert something you enjoy doing – editing – for example). Better yet, here at Bob Jones there are so many classes that can help you get on the right track when choosing a career. Sample different career-related classes and see which fields you like best. 

Here are some other tips to help students find the career of their dreams:

1. Take online career quizzes to see if there are any careers out there that fit your interests. These quizzes, however, will not always give you accurate results. Quizzes like these may help to steer you in the right direction, but do not fully rely on the results.
  2. “Before you go out and choose a career path, it’s important to take the time to determine what success means to you.” Success doesn’t always mean how much money you can make in a year. What are you interested in? What would you enjoy doing? Do not choose something just because it’s a high-paying job. Choose something you would actually enjoy. Remember, those who are rich aren’t always happy. Freshman Erin Kueck said, “Whatever career you choose should be something you enjoy and know a lot about, but it should also be a continuing mystery so you don’t get bored.” 
  3. Not stressing out about what you want to do is crucial when deciding your career. Not saying that you should just sit back and do nothing, but stressing out about your ideal career will not help. It may seem like you only have a little time until you have decide what you want to do, but you have time. You might not have all the time in the world to decide, but you have more time than you think. A senior, Katie Bohatch, said, “ I was in fifth grade when I realized I wanted to be a fashion designer. My best advice to those looking for the right career: Spend a day doing nothing; it will come to you.”

All you have to do is take small steps, and before you know it, you will know what career you want. If you change your mind, you can always switch.

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

NAHS and SNHS Partner Up to Create Eco-Friendly Art

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

AP Computer Science Principles: Exploring New Technologies

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

Valentine’s Day Swing Dance

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

Art Kids Get the Win

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

Free Reading Friday: Check Out What YOU Want to Read

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

Are You Prepared for the Unexpected?

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

MCS Go 2.0: Gone Mobile

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

Resolutions: “New Year, New Me”

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

Patriot Path Suggestions

• How to Choose a Career

Student Life

National Popcorn Day

How to Choose a Career