Alberto Frutos: Patriot Path App Pioneer

Shandi Burrows, Writer

Both students and faculty can attest to the struggle that is Patriot Path. The Google Forms can be hard to navigate, and making the rosters is often tedious, but all of that might change soon.

On April 5, 2017, the new Patriot Path website was unveiled. At first, there were obviously some problems, such as some students were automatically sent to detention, and the website was only accessible on the school WiFi; but the website is proving to be beneficial overall.

The new website’s creator, Alberto Frutos, started this project during the first week of Patriot Path back in August.

“I wasn’t really selected for the project. Back in August, about the first week of Patriot Path, I started working on a phone application. I felt like there was a problem [with the system] and I did not like it one bit. So I started working and working with my computer science skills to figure it out,” Frutos explained.

At first, Alberto kept the progress of this ambitious project to himself.

“Around late September, I told Mrs. Thaxton.  I showed her what I had and then from there is when they figured out [the progress]. They were really helpful, and it was great.”

Alberto stuck with his project, not only helping his fellow students and his community, but also enriching his portfolio.

“I plan to undergrad in computer science; I want to have a startup business. A jump starter helping schools and education or working for a small company would be great.”

His efforts are not going unrecognized, he was even awarded PTSA Quality Student of the Month in March. 

“I was really surprised when they came into my class, it was shocking. I was [taking] a test, they came in and I didn’t know what was going on. It was my first time getting Student of the Month.”

Alberto has big plans for the website in the future. By next year, he plans to have it accessible without school WiFi, make it easier for the teachers to upload activities, and integrate a new layout style, that is “more high-tech, more graphical, and more mobile-friendly.”

While Alberto is accredited for the majority of the site, he wanted to thank Jordan Embrey for helping with the design and Xander Voigt.

Frutos stated, “Without Xander, the attendance feature would not be possible.”

Click here to listen to Alberto explain the website creating process, new features coming to the website, and people that helped along the way in more depth.