Marvel’s Black Panther movie

Emma Leigh Wright, Writer

People are talking about the new Marvel movie, Black Panther. We saw this character for the first time back in the “Captain America: Civil War” movie. When fans heard that this character was getting his own movie, they went crazy. Michael Kelly, a junior, stated, “Yeah, I am pretty excited; this movie will be a unique addition to the Marvel franchise as it is featuring a character who hasn’t had much of a spotlight yet.”

Though the storyline and costumes look intriguing, people are excited about this movie for other reasons as well. Senior Audrey Harper said, “Yes, I am [excited]. I love Marvel movies, and I am happy that black individuals get the representation they deserve in mainstream media.” Many are fans of the diversity starting to be present in superhero movies, especially one such as a major franchise like Marvel.  Audrey added, “It has sold out and is one of the most anticipated movies of the year. I am sure that Black Panther will be an important character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe from now on.”

Chenoa Gentle, another student excited about the new cast, said, “Yes, a strong black cast are what I LIVE for; they don’t get half as much credit as some other movie casts do.”

Kafui Sakyiaddo, a junior, agreed. I’m so excited!  It’s going to be so important for young black children to be able to see people that look like them on a large screen. The representation is so important. Not to mention that I’ll actually have a few ideas for Halloween of characters that actually look like me, which may seem like a small thing, but it’s something that a lot of people of color have to worry about.”  

The movie opens this week, and with the half day on Friday and Monday off, students have plenty of time to catch it at the theater.