“Found Tonight,” Commentary

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Found Tonight,” Commentary

https://youtu.be/2aQykuIaJVI

Carolina Mooring, writer

On March 19, Ben Platt and Lin Manuel Miranda sang a mash-up of “Story of Tonight” from Hamilton, and “You Will Be Found” from Dear Evan Hansen called “Found Tonight.”  The posted a video of them singing it in the studio on Youtube  and it has performed very well.  The video has over 3 million views.  Fans of the musicals, and non-fans alike enjoyed the mashup.  

One student said, “Yeah, it was pretty lit.  I think Dear Evan Hansen is overrated, but I guess Lin Manuel made it better.”

When shown the video, Maddie Shrode said, “I’m in tears once again as these broadway geniuses help a meaningful cause with an absolutely beautiful song.  I’m always in tears, but these are like special tears.”

Though there was overwhelming support for the song, most people don’t know that it also has a good cause behind it.  Only two out of ten people interviewed about the video knew what was happening behind the scenes. In the description and at the end of the video, the viewers are told that a portion of the proceeds go to March For Our Lives, an organization of students and family members who marched through Washington D.C. on March 24 to protest for better gun laws especially in schools.  The pair also performed their new song at the March For Our Lives march on the 24th.

The pair gave a statement in a Rolling Stone article on the song:

“‘In the wake of Parkland, I was awestruck by the strength and leadership of the students and their ability to speak truth to power,’ Miranda previously said in a statement. ‘In the midst of their grief, they mobilized the youth of our nation and created a movement. This is their moment. Not just for themselves, but for all of us. This song is my way of helping to raise funds and awareness for their efforts, and to say Thank You, and that we are with you so let’s keep fighting, together.’

‘Better gun control is something that all Americans should be passionate about,’ Platt added. ‘These students are paving the way for future generations and it’s so inspiring to see young people standing up for what is probably the most important cause right now in this country, and demanding action. I hope that this song can play some small part in bringing about real change.’”

So whether you love or hate the musicals that have spread like wildfire in the last few years, you can at least appreciate these two creators combining the fruits of their labor to make a stand for a cause that they believe in.

Carolina Mooring, Writer

I'm Carolina, and I'm a sophomore at BJHS. I'm heavily involved in the fine arts. I'm in Patriot Singers, and I'm a drama nerd. I like to write little...

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Ralph Breaks the Internet (and Our Expectations)

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

The Game Awards 2018

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

The Hate U Give Gets All the Love

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

November’s Christmas: More Christmas Carols, Fewer Commercial Jingles

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

I Used To Know Her–Pt.2–H.E.R. Review

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Bad Critic Reviews Can’t Stop Bohemian Rhapsody

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Ariana Says “Thank U, Next” To All The Heartbreak

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Come to November’s Convivial Hamacon!

“Found Tonight,” Commentary