“Found Tonight,” Commentary

https://youtu.be/2aQykuIaJVI

Carolina Mooring, writer

On March 19, Ben Platt and Lin Manuel Miranda sang a mash-up of “Story of Tonight” from Hamilton, and “You Will Be Found” from Dear Evan Hansen called “Found Tonight.”  The posted a video of them singing it in the studio on Youtube  and it has performed very well.  The video has over 3 million views.  Fans of the musicals, and non-fans alike enjoyed the mashup.  

One student said, “Yeah, it was pretty lit.  I think Dear Evan Hansen is overrated, but I guess Lin Manuel made it better.”

When shown the video, Maddie Shrode said, “I’m in tears once again as these broadway geniuses help a meaningful cause with an absolutely beautiful song.  I’m always in tears, but these are like special tears.”

Though there was overwhelming support for the song, most people don’t know that it also has a good cause behind it.  Only two out of ten people interviewed about the video knew what was happening behind the scenes. In the description and at the end of the video, the viewers are told that a portion of the proceeds go to March For Our Lives, an organization of students and family members who marched through Washington D.C. on March 24 to protest for better gun laws especially in schools.  The pair also performed their new song at the March For Our Lives march on the 24th.

The pair gave a statement in a Rolling Stone article on the song:

“‘In the wake of Parkland, I was awestruck by the strength and leadership of the students and their ability to speak truth to power,’ Miranda previously said in a statement. ‘In the midst of their grief, they mobilized the youth of our nation and created a movement. This is their moment. Not just for themselves, but for all of us. This song is my way of helping to raise funds and awareness for their efforts, and to say Thank You, and that we are with you so let’s keep fighting, together.’

‘Better gun control is something that all Americans should be passionate about,’ Platt added. ‘These students are paving the way for future generations and it’s so inspiring to see young people standing up for what is probably the most important cause right now in this country, and demanding action. I hope that this song can play some small part in bringing about real change.’”

So whether you love or hate the musicals that have spread like wildfire in the last few years, you can at least appreciate these two creators combining the fruits of their labor to make a stand for a cause that they believe in.

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Incredibly, Pixar Gives Us A Sequel That We Want

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

The Best Low-Budget Movies to Watch This Summer

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Mad about All the Basic Chicken?

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Infinity War Kills the Hearts of Many, Not Only Their Characters (Spoilers)

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Met Gala 2018

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Is This America?

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

TopGolf Huntsville

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Borderlands 2: A Geek’s Fantasy

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Beignet Café in Madison

• “Found Tonight,” Commentary

Arts & Entertainment

Huntsville Comic Con at Lowe Mill

“Found Tonight,” Commentary