The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Katie Steele and Brenna Oxley

Christmas, a time for family, friends, food, fun and classics. Some of our favorite traditions of Christmas include movie watching and gift giving. We all have that favorite movie that we must watch during the season. According to a survey given to High School Students, 94.3% of the students have watched the Grinch. Although it is a holiday favorite for many, there are many different versions. The original and the Jim Carrey version are very different, but have you heard of the new “The Grinch”?

The movie wasn’t what we were expecting. The Grinch was definitely a little nicer in this movie, but still mean. He was a little too nice and he lost some of his mean charm. The characters were pretty much the same including Max, Cindy Lou Who, and the Mayor. However they introduced some new ones such as Fred the reindeer and the screaming goat.

One thing that was definitely one of the best parts was the Christmas-stealing scene. I loved how the candy canes scooped up the presents and how everything looked planned and thought out. Even the way the Grinch would go from house to house, counting down how many houses he had left was amazing.  Another one of the best scenes was when the Grinch’s heart grew 3 sizes. The way they portrayed it was amazing.

My favorite thing about the movie was Max, who’s the Grinch’s dog and was never really given much attention in previous adaptations. The movie highlighted Max as an important character and gave him the attention he worked so hard for.

Now, the overall animation was breathtaking. You could see the precise hairlines and every little details on the Whos’ faces. The animation was so precise that the Whos almost perfectly resembled a human.

The movie was like a brother to the original, not the same, but the original concepts were still there. The artists of this move really grabbed onto the audience’s emotions. We laughed, were sad, felt happy, felt confused, and even were mad at the Grinch. The concept team for this movie were remarkable. They took this good ole’ favorite Christmas movie and modernized it. The technology changed and the Grinch’s methods did too!

All in all, I think this movie should be enjoyed by families from everywhere. It’s family friendly and humorous. For those who specifically enjoy the original “The Grinch,” this new one touched close to that ground. For those who enjoy the Jim Carrey one, the feels are different but maybe this will become your new favorite.

Katie Steele, Contributor

Hey! I'm Katie ,and I'm a freshman. Right now, I'm interested in being a veterinarian and going to the University of Colorado in Boulder. I'm on Bob Jones...

Brenna Oxley, Contributor

I am a freshman, and I'm in a lot of activities like SGA, Patriot Paws, HOSA, and Debate Team. I like photography and animals. I want to study veterinary...

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

Ralph Breaks the Internet (and Our Expectations)

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

The Game Awards 2018

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

The Hate U Give Gets All the Love

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

November’s Christmas: More Christmas Carols, Fewer Commercial Jingles

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

I Used To Know Her–Pt.2–H.E.R. Review

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

Bad Critic Reviews Can’t Stop Bohemian Rhapsody

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

Ariana Says “Thank U, Next” To All The Heartbreak

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

Come to November’s Convivial Hamacon!

• The Grinch. Do or Don’t?

Arts & Entertainment

Red ‘Not So Dead’ Redemption

The Grinch. Do or Don’t?