Can You Guess the Word in Six Guesses?

Quinn Powell, Contributor

Word guessing games and word puzzle games have been around for a long time with games such as Wordscapes, Hangman, and Crossword puzzles to occupy our time. Not many of those games in recent years have become so talked about as Wordle has. 

For those who don’t know, Wordle, developed by Josh Wardle, is a web-based word guessing game that gives you six attempts to guess a five-letter word that changes daily. When typing in a guess, the box around a letter will change color to indicate whether the letter is in the word or not. Green means the letter is in the word and is in the right spot. Yellow means the letter is in the word but is in the wrong spot. Gray means that the letter is not in the word at all. With its growing popularity, Wordle has not only attracted a player audience but also plagiarizers who make rip-offs of the game. Despite the clutter of rip-offs, the official game site can be found at https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/. Thankfully, most of the rip-off games have been taken care of and removed. 

Most players heard of Wordle through friends, family, or social media, and while some players play for the competition, the majority of others play the game just for fun. Players seem to have an overall positive attitude towards the game. Katie Tanner said that it was “a super fun game to play everyday, without being a game you spend hours on.” However, the game is maybe not as popular as people may have thought with over half of the students interviewed not having heard about Wordle or not having played it. Freshman Micah Hendricks even said, “What is that?” when asked about the game. 

Wordle was recently purchased by The New York Times and will remain free for people to enjoy.