Local Outdoor Markets

Local Outdoor Markets

Ava Ingram, Contributor

Huntsville and Madison provide multiple opportunities for you to visit local markets throughout the year. There are several good options nearby such as in Huntsville and Madison. Markets include local vendors who sell handmade items, fresh produce, second-hand items, homemade items, and many more. Certain markets close and open during specific times of the year, meaning you’ll have to make sure to set reminders if you’d like to go to some of them.

The Outdoor Market at Lowe Mill, located at  2211 Seminole Dr SW, Huntsville, AL 35805, started on May 6, and will continue hosting these markets every Saturday until October 21. All the vendors are open by 12 pm until 4 pm. As stated in their website, many local vendors will present their finest products, whether made-by-hand, second-hand or made by the earth. One student says, “My favorite outdoor market is Lowe Mill. I like it because I love art and love seeing all the different things.”

Another popular outdoor market, located at The Camp at MidCity, 5909 University Drive, Huntsville, AL 35806, opened on March 12 and will continue every Sunday until November 12. Vendors begin selling items at 12 pm until 4 pm. On their website, they state that their market policy is to have 70% farmers and food and then 30% non-food and artisans. Some comments about this market from students are, “I love the one at Midcity. It’s really cute, and I love the various shops that pop up there. Also, they had baby chicks one time and I got to hold them and that was just the best moment of my life” and, “I liked that they offered a variety of foods, plants, and clothing at each of the vendors.”

One market closer to Bob Jones is the Madison City Farmers Market, located at 1088 Hughes Road, Madison, AL outside of the Trinity Baptist Church. This market will be open from 8 am to 12 pm from April to Septemberand will open back again in October through November from 9 am to 12 pm. According to their website, everything sold at this market is grown or made by local farmers and craftspeople. Another student states, “I like it because of the music and the location. The people are also really nice and it has a good selection of stands. I do wish that they had more fresh fruit stands, though. The people running the tables are easy to talk to and seriously the smells are AMAZING! Going during the fall is the best.”

There are still many markets and outdoor events in Alabama throughout the year providing great items from local businesses and artists. According to a poll, 26.3% of students haven’t been to an outdoor market yet. If you haven’t been able to go to any before, I would recommend any of these that are open right now. Plus, going and buying anything from a vendor helps local businesses.