Snow Days Bring Heat to AP Courses

Furry Friends Enjoying the Change in Weather

Olivia Schweikart, Writer, Photographer

Many students know the wonderful feeling of scrolling through their multimedia feeds at night to find out school has been delayed or even canceled. Ishan Basu, senior, views these delays and cancellations as “more time to sleep.” While a few days break from school can be nice eventually the long term effects will skate to the spotlight and turn up the heat on AP courses.

AP classes are known for their rigor and depth of material. With the AP test “looming” overhead, as said by AP Language teacher Robin Dauma, a delay in instructional time can bring stress to both faculty and students.

Scott Seeley, an AP Word History instructor, believes the previous four delays and three closings are affecting AP courses “severely,” and says what “doesn’t move is the date of the AP test.” Other teachers echoed this opinion, including AP Biology teacher Ben Johnston, “Overall, it will affect AP courses more because the AP exam is a hard deadline. The College Board is not going to delay it, so you have to get everything covered no matter what.”

Though students will be faced with the crunch of fitting a full AP schedule into a limited time-frame, AP Chemistry instructor Daniel Elegante believes the students will be “just fine.” However, future delays could place even more pressure on both the instructors and the students because while the material may be able to be fully covered, there will be a rush to have “adequate time to review.”

Although future delays and cancellations remain a mystery, Bob Jones’ instructional staff is well equipped to handle any further obstacles placed in their path while preparing their students for their future college endeavors.