Google’s Chromebooks Taking Over?

Class using Chromebooks

Kouji Miyamoto, Writer

Have you noticed that some classes are using Google Chromebooks more than iPads now?  It’s not just Madison City.

According to the IDC (International Data Corporation), Apple shipped 702,000 iPads to schools across the U.S. in 2014. Google shipped 715,500 Chromebooks to schools across the U.S. in that same year. It’s not that huge of a difference, but it shows how Google’s Chromebooks are taking off.

The Chromebooks have features that the iPads don’t have. For example, a keyboard. Chromebooks have keyboards.  Apple’s iPad might be good for younger students in lower grades because of the touch screen and size.  In all grades, it could come in handy during media projects.  But what if a high school student needs to type a research paper? An iPad isn’t going to be their go-to device, even with an external keyboard.

With the Chromebooks, sharing is a lot easier. The Chromebooks use cloud storage. To get to all your stuff all you have to do is log in to your account. This makes it a lot easier and safer for multiple people to use one Chromebook. The Chromebooks use Chrome as an operating system, so students can access their work anytime and anywhere. As long as you have internet access, you can get to Google Drive and have access to all your work.

Ms. Coker, one of the science teachers here at Bob Jones, shared her opinion on the new Chromebooks. She said, “I don’t like how you have to log in three different times. You have log in to computer itself, then Google, then VMware.”  On the other hand, she also likes the fact that everyone in her class has his or her own and doesn’t have to share. Ultimately, Ms. Coker said, “I like the Chromebooks because we got carts just for our department.”

To see infographic in full resolution, click HERE

Untitled Infographic