Snow and Ice: Delay, Cancellation, or Nothing?

Ryan Burdette, Writer

With the cold weather rolling in, many students at Bob Jones have been hoping and praying for schools delays. On Wednesday January 20th, it was expected to snow but turned into a cold, dreary, rainy day. Some area schools canceled school and called for delays in the morning while Madison City waited and ended up doing nothing. Many students were greatly disappointed with the decision.  

On Friday, January 22nd, Madison City Schools issued a half day because the cold weather moved in faster than predicted.  The Madison Record has more information on school closure.  

Bob Jones student Kouji Miyamoto explained how he felt about the weather delays. “ I don’t think we should’ve have been delayed based on how the weather turned out on Wednesday. But, sometimes it’s nice to know if we are going to be delayed the night before because we don’t know how the conditions will be in the morning.”

In a report on al.com, Leada Gore stated that Dr. Dee Fowler sent out a message to parents about the weather and here’s what it said. “If it does occur, the freezing precipitation is expected to be sporadic and light for our area,” Fowler said. “Temperatures will go above freezing during the day, so the event should be short-lived.”

Although no freezing or icing occurred on Wednesday, some parents expressed their concern for their children getting out on icy roads. Heidi Richey, a parent of a student at Bob Jones said, “ As of the night before, it was very unclear as to how the weather was going to be in the morning, which really concerned me to know my child could be getting on possibly dangerous roads.”

Friday’s weather, which resulted in snow and ice, warranted the early dismissal, and students were released in time to be home before the bad weather started.

For further information on any potential school delays related to weather, you can visit Waff.com.