The Debate So Far

Winston Green Jr, Writer

On April 5th, the Wisconsin primary took place and announced that Ted Cruz has won over the republican vote, winning 10 more delegates and 13.2% more votes than Trump while Sanders was able to win over 10 more delegates than Clinton. This primary seemingly held high stakes for Cruz, who have been trailing behind the front runner that would be Trump, as well as marking an unofficial halfway point on everyone’s nomination calendar. Losing this primary could have stalled the candidates even further behind. Some people would even say that it foreshadows who will be elected due to Wisconsin’s history of selecting candidates who were later nominated and served as presidents.

However that could easily be dismissed with coincidence there are still plenty of states that are to vote that could also be detrimental in candidate’s nomination like California, DC, New York (Whose primary is next on April 19th) and plenty of others.     

It is also clear to see the intensity and frustration starting to gradually grow as the election is now filed down to four-I mean five (Sorry Kasich). Ted Cruz has already shown his aggravation against not only Trump for his seemingly increasing unruly behavior but also against Kasich by launching an anti-Kasich ad sometime before the Wisconsin primary for recent comments that denounces Cruz’s ability to win the November nomination. In response Cruz suggested him to drop out of the race as if Kasich was siphoning potential Cruz supporters. Kasich isn’t really the innocent one in this whole situation either though.

The Republicans aren’t the only ones experiencing a bit of friction as the Democratic party fights over who is actually “qualified” to be president after accusations of Clinton questioning if Sander’s was even able to be president which he then responded, questioning Hillary’s qualifications and stating that her supporting of the war in Iran, allowing $15 million from her Super-PAC and corporations to assist her and support for the Panama trade free agreement.

The upcoming primary state that is to vote soon would be New York on the 19th which could lead to a chance of Trump and Clinton’s progression through the nomination due to their experience in New York before they started running where Clinton served as senator from January 1 of 2001 to January 23 of 2009.

I interviewed two people of their opinions on the Wisconsin and the upcoming New York primary with basic questions.

1. Were you surprised about the turn out of the Wisconsin primary?

Bob Jones student Jordan Cozby responded:

“This election year has been very unpredictable. I doubt many people a year ago would have thought that Republicans from across the conservative spectrum would largely come together in support of Senator Ted Cruz over Donald Trump in Wisconsin. Trump’s rise and Cruz’s recent growth in support from more traditional conservatives have both been quite surprising to most people.”

1. Do you expect Clinton and Trump to win over the New York vote (on the 19th) with their experience there?

“Based on most of the recent polling and trends, it looks likely that Clinton and Trump will win New York. I believe their connections to the state will help them do well, but broader demographic and structural advantages play in their favor too.”

I later asked Mr Levenhagen ,the economic teacher assist, the same question where he responded:

“Not really, I figured that Sanders would win but I was surprised for the win for Cruz, really expected to Trump to win.”

“I feel like Clinton and Trump would win the vote. Even though I kinda feel like the people would line more with Sander but will end up voting for Clinton.”