What Trump Has in Mind for Education

Rebecca Shin, Writer

Donald Trump and his candidate for Secretary of Education are advocating for charter schools, bringing outrage from some and support from others.

Betsy DeVos is Trump’s new choice as the Secretary of Education, sparking controversy with her push for charter schools in low-income urban areas. Detroit, Michigan includes the nation’s most struggling public schools in a large city, and DeVos has been attempting to enforce charter schools to boost education performance. According to CNSNews, four percent of eighth-grade students are competent in math, and seven percent are adept at reading skills in Detroit. With these statistics, DeVos’s proposal may be taken into consideration.

Despite support from influential Republican leaders, she meets strong opposition from teachers’ unions across the country. Mr. Wright, the AP Government teacher, said, “Taking away federal money from public school systems will only benefit private institutions and charter schools.” While Wright believes that an “advocate of for-profit opportunities should not be representing education,” he understands that charter schools will help in some areas where the school systems are in trouble.

Other teachers believe that charter schools may bring a positive change in education for low-income kids. With experience from the Huntsville City school district and Morgan County school district, Brandy Panagos, a teacher at Bob Jones High School, believes that DeVos’s proposal may benefit students at low-income schools. “Because of the funding and the culture of some communities, some schools haven’t been able to correct problems,” she said. “If their system has been failing for years, they need to find another way to fix it for the sake of the students,” Panagos stated. “We’re pretty lucky to have the situation we have in Madison City schools, but you don’t have to drive very far to see that some other solutions may need to be explored.”

Alabama recently released a list of 75 failing high schools, including Columbia High School and Lee High School in Huntsville, bringing the issue closer to home.

While charter schools may improve the status of some public schools, it may not necessarily change drastically. In Michigan, where DeVos has already implemented the establishment of charter schools, many of them are still failing. Though it may be due to Detroit, home to the worst performing schools in any big city, there still needs to be more supervision and control over these schools.

Trump and DeVos seem to be headed in the direction of more charter schools, but she will have to answer to the questions of the Senate before they vote on her position.