Earth Day: Ways to Celebrate Our Home

Casey Kula, Writer

Since its creation in 1970, Earth Day has inspired millions of people across the nation to preserve the Earth for future generations. Over the years, communities all around the world have formed events that motivate others to help make the world a better place. There are multiple events happening globally and locally to commemorate the day.

The Huntsville’s Green Team will host Keep America Beautiful’s Earth Day which will be at the Flint River in Hays Nature Preserve from 10 am to 2 pm. This family-friendly event has grown popular over the years, with an attendance of 10,000 people each year.

For the more introverted earth-lover, Disney Nature has produced a film every Earth Day that depicts the lives of wildlife, honing in on a different group each film. Since 2009, they have released films on bears, cats of the wild, and even flamingos.

Born in China is this year’s film for Earth Day and follows the three animal families of pandas, golden monkeys, and snow leopards as they venture into wild. These films give a unique perspective on the lives of animals that zoos or the average documentary have yet to portray – such as the extraordinary moments in the lives of these animals, but also their hardships against the terrain, climate, and predators. Born in China will open the day before Earth Day, April 21st. 

One event that has a lot of buzz surrounding it is the March for Science. The Earth Day Network and March for Science formulated a rally at the National Mall in Washington D.C. that will include speeches and performance by multiple scientists and other qualified individuals. 

“Science is important because it helps us grow as a society. From cars to medicine to food, science and scientific research affects everything we do and therefore needs to be paid for and continued to be studied,” stated sophomore Jessica Sloan.

The rally has become so heartening that cities around the world will also be marching on Earth Day for the needs of science. Huntsville, Alabama is one of the cities having a March for Science on Earth Day. The march will start at UAH’s Shelbie King Hall and will end at the Space and Rocket Center.

“The March for Science is the celebration of advancement. Since the earliest of times, society has always tried to push its own limits,” said sophomore Douglas Zhang.

After the march, attendees plan to visit community science institutions such as places like Huntsville Botanical Gardens and the new exhibit at the Space and Rocket Center.

Whether you’re attending one of the events occurring in Huntsville or just spending the day in the garden, find time to celebrate the beauty of Earth this Saturday.