Water Pollution in Alabama

Alex H., graphic artist

Alex H., graphic artist

Alex H., graphic artist

Jacob Nelson, Writer

Although glossed over by some, pollution is a serious problem that needs attention. As shown in a poll of Bob Jones students, only 10% of the responses think that pollution is a cause of death. This shows how little attention this topic gets, as pollution contributes to many causes of death, such as respiratory diseases, stroke, and cancers. A recent source links pollution to 1 out of 6 deaths worldwide.

Despite this, some students are aware, such as Carl Yem, a senior. “Water contamination and carbon emissions… water contamination can ruin a whole community’s health for the rest of their lives if unknown,  and carbon emissions contribute heavily to global warming, which is indubitably a growing issue.”

Aaron Michaels also said, “All pollution is bad pollution. Every piece of garbage causes harm in some indirect way, most time without a second thought. The accumulation of all of our pollution will eventually cause a massive problem in the long run, even if it isn’t happening to us now.”

Pollution is increasing in our area in the form of water pollution. Water pollution in Alabama has reached an outrageous level, even sporting the title the second most contaminated water in the country. Coal ash, toxic dumping, and sewage contribute to the pollution. Mr. Johnston, an AP Environmental Science teacher,  stated, “It’s bad.” He added, “Water pollution from runoff, runoff pollution coming mainly from agriculture,” stressing that our water pollution from agricultural runoff is worse than most might suspect.

Though there are laws in place to protect our water systems, they are not often enforced, according to the Alabama Rivers Alliance. Wheeler Lake and the Tennessee River, both not far from Bob Jones, are in bad shape. Companies like 3M have dumped PFOs into the area, and 3M’s trial date is set for 2019, so it will be a long time before there any improvements. There are also other lawsuits against 3M.

How can you protect yourself? Don’t eat fish from contaminated rivers. Be careful where you swim. Be mindful of where the water in your home comes from. Most importantly, be aware of the problem and help raise awareness so that change can take place.

• Water Pollution in Alabama

News

“That Symbol” Sweeps Across Bob Jones, Crashing Hundreds of iOS Devices

• Water Pollution in Alabama

News

Alabama State School Report Cards: Madison City Earns an A

• Water Pollution in Alabama

News

Madison City Schools and This Flu Season

• Water Pollution in Alabama

News

Black History Month: The Origin and Its Importance

• Water Pollution in Alabama

News

Luciana Vega’s Launch Into Space

• Water Pollution in Alabama

News

3-2-1 BLAST OFF!!

• News

A New Auto Manufacturing Plant

• Water Pollution in Alabama

News

Fitness Tracking Apps Reveal Military Bases

• Water Pollution in Alabama

News

New Madison Library Open to Public

• Water Pollution in Alabama

News

Are iPhones the Reason Teenagers are Depressed?

Water Pollution in Alabama