Scared of Needles?

Ashlee Sunderman, Writer

Before fall break this year, Bob Jones High School administered the flu vaccine. This is a yearly occurrence, nothing new, but this year it may be more important than ever. The flu is constantly changing, and this year is the most deadly flu season we’ve seen in 40 years. 80,000 people have died this year from both the flu and its complications. WSPA interviewed Dr. Scott Weikle, an internist with Bon Secours St. Francis Health in Travelers Rest, who said, “80% of the children that died from the flu had not received their flu shot.” Dr. Weikle also said that young children and the elderly are at an increased risk, but everyone should take the precaution of a flu shot.

Most students interviewed at Bob Jones have not yet received their flu shots, but use other methods, like frequent hand washing, to avoid the flu. Madeline Shrode, a junior, said, “It’s scary” when considering the number of deaths by flu this year.

School nurse Sheila Kasulka gave some advice about how to steer clear of this deadly virus. “The best way to avoid the flu is to wash your hands often, especially before eating and after the restroom. Also, don’t share lip gloss or drinks.”

Naturally, getting a flu shot is one of the best ways to prevent the flu, but only “253 students…  out of 1813 kids” got the flu shot here at school this year. Mackenzie Edwards, freshman, said that she “make[s] sure to clean [her] hands with soap and warm water… and take frequent showers” along with getting the vaccine yearly at the school.

Patriot Pages surveyed students and asked about the following: how they combat the flu, if they’ve had their flu shot, and if they’ve ever had the flu, and the results of this survey indicated a pattern. Those who had never had the flu often said that they did nothing to avoid it and that they didn’t get a flu shot. Students who had had the flu in the past were more active in their fight against this virus, most saying that they got the flu shot every year and are conscious about washing their hands.

Whether you have had the flu or not, the CDC recommends that students get vaccinated and protect themselves from the deadliest flu season in four decades.

Ashlee Sunderman, Contributor

I am a junior at Bob Jones who focuses on grades and sports. I am taking three AP classes this year, and I'm a captain of the Cross Country team. I enjoy...

• Scared of Needles?

News

Bless this House: Election Results

• Scared of Needles?

News

November: Military Family Month

• Scared of Needles?

News

Madison City Government Adds New Traffic Lights on Hughes

• Scared of Needles?

News

Lack of Exercise More Harmful Than Previously Believed

• Scared of Needles?

News

To Debate or Not to Debate: Alabama Governor Election

• Scared of Needles?

News

Texas Cuts History Curriculum

• Scared of Needles?

News

The Cost of Quality Education

• Scared of Needles?

News

Elon Musk Introduces First Private Space Tourist

• Scared of Needles?

News

John McCain Passes Away

• Scared of Needles?

News

May is Mental Health Awareness Month!

Scared of Needles?