November: Military Family Month

Sean Huh

Madison Carter, Writer

More than 60% of students of Bob Jones students surveyed have a family member serving/has served in the military. More of our students had family members in the Army; it had almost 36% with the other branches earning markedly lower results.

Bob Jones even has a few veterans who work here. Chief Master Sergeant Clark’s son, Brandon Clark, shared his perspective on Military Family Month and how he feels.

Do you think Military Family Month isn’t recognized enough?

Brandon: I’m not so sure about that, but around the Madison city area, the word does get around about military events, and it does it get recognized.

Were your dad & mom still serving when you were born?

Brandon: Yes, my mom was retired as a master sergeant in the Air Force, but my dad was still serving in the Air Force.

What was it like growing up in a military household?

Brandon: To me, I don’t think it is very different from a normal household because that is all I know. Despite what other people think, it isn’t a very strict family, but more like you have to meet a little bit higher expectations.

What is it like to move around because of a military family?

Brandon: I didn’t actually move around that much like other military kids have. I was born in Tucson,  Arizona and lived there for a little while. I then moved to Suffolk where I stayed for preschool and kindergarten. Finally, I moved to Alabama up until this point, but the only reason I moved to Alabama was that of the JROTC job my dad applied for at Bob Jones High School. I don’t remember the other places that much, but since then, I have made many friends in Alabama.

While soldiers are risking their lives on the battlefield and spending time away from their families, the families also make their own sacrifices and are also without their loved ones. It’s important to think about the students sitting next to you because they might be missing a family member serving overseas or may be feeling new to our school if they’ve moved here recently. You can recognize Military Family Appreciation Month more intentionally, even if it’s just asking how they are and saying, “Thank you.”