The School Shooting Heroes

Faith Ward, Writer

On the last day of class, April 30th, former student Trystan Terrell opened fire on campus at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

He rushed into a liberal studies class and started shooting at students. One of the students, Riley Howell, jumped in front of the shooter and tried to disarm him when he was shot dead. None of his classmates were surprised that he made this sacrifice for them. He was known as someone who wanted those around him to feel safe and protected. He was selfless to the minute he was killed.

Howell was one of six to be shot. The other victims included Reed Parlier, who was also killed, and Rami Al-Ramadhan, Sean DeHart, Emily Houpt, and Drew Pescaro, who all suffered injuries. Howell was an ROTC cadet, and for his act of bravery, he was buried with full military honors after a petition surfaced online with over 33,000 signatures.

Terrell has been charged with two counts of murder and four counts of attempted murder.

Another school shooting occurred on May 7 at STEM School Highlands Ranch in Denver, Colorado, and another hero has risen. Kendrick Castillo threw himself in front of the shooter so his classmates had enough time to hide under their desks. After Castillo was shot, three other students rushed at the shooter and held him down. Eight others were wounded in this incident.

This is the first time in a long time that the victims of the shootings are receiving more coverage than the criminals. We usually see the shooter’s face plastered all over the news while the victims take a backseat and their families try to piece their broken hearts back together.

Riley Howell and Kendrick Castillo are two heroes. They were brave and selfless and did not think twice about sacrificing their life for the benefit of others. They need to be remembered and honored for their acts.

Howell’s younger brother Teddy stated during the funeral, “My superhero doesn’t wear a cape, he wears Tevas.”

Rest In Peace, Riley Howell and Kendrick Castillo. May all remember you both.