Anti-Cyberbullying: The Sulli Act

Anti-Cyberbullying: The Sulli Act

Lydia Isom, Writer

If you are into kpop, then you most likely have heard of the death of Sulli, a former member of the girl group f(x). She committed suicide on October 14, 2019. The cause of her suicide? Cyberbullying. 

Cyber bullying is a problem everywhere. 43.2% of students that had taken a survey had admitted to being involved in cyberbullying, regardless of being on the receiving end or not. One student stated that “[cyberbullying] is dumb” and that “there definitely needs something to be done about it.” 

Recently, Choi Jin-ri, or Sulli, commited suicide. She was a massive advocate against cyberbullying, which she had personal experience in. Her lifestyle, which was very controversial in Korea, was the main cause. She was a supporter of the no-bra movement, and of the Comfort Women Day, a memorial day to honor the women and girls forced into sexual slavery in WWII by the Japanese Imperial Army. Sulli was already suffering from severe depression prior to her death.

Recently, some Korean lawmakers have proposed a new bill dubbed “The Sulli Act,” in memory of Sulli. The bill itself will be proposed officially in early December. It will also be supported by over 100 companies  and also by around 200 celebrities that either knew Sulli or have been a victim of online abuse as well. The bill has been rumored to prevent anonymous hate online by forcing people to use their real name. Will this be effective? 59.5% of students that had taken a survey said yes, while 40.5% said no. Emily Duong, a freshman, said that such a method would be effective because “the [victim] could act accordingly.” Meanwhile Sarah Roach, a senior, stated that “using your real name wouldn’t prevent bullying.” 

The topic on whether the bill would be effective is still debatable. Cyberbullying? Not at all. It is cruel and can cause much harm. Don’t be afraid to tell an adult close to you, one that cares for you and your wellbeing. Be safe, folks.