Prepared for Flooding?

Amy Athing, Contributor

On Tuesday February 18th, Kay Ivey, the governor of Alabama, declared a state of emergency to all Alabama counties due to flooding. Ivey Stated, “This will allow a continued smooth recovery for our state, and I am confident it will aid the efforts already happening on the local level.” But what does a state of emergency mean for Alabama, and how is our local government prepared to deal with flooding before it happens? Are the residents of Madison educated on dealing with flash flooding and other weather threats? 

The Alabama Emergency Management Agency packed its government-run website with useful information for the residents of Alabama to utilize in the case of unwanted weather. Even though only one high school student reported that their home had been impacted by recent flooding, it is important to be educated on what to do. The Ready website says that just 6 inches of moving water can wipe you off your feet and that a foot of water can wash away your car. A good way to prepare for wether is to have a discussion with your family on how your home is prepared for a flood and how you can all stay safe during the wet months. There are many more things to know so people are encouraged to research what to do in the event of a flood.

Though no bad weather is currently predicted, Governor Ivey suggests that people to listen to weather forecasts on their local stations and stay weather educated, as Alabama could see more flooding in the coming months. In the meantime, stay dry!