From RBG to ACB?

Rian Edwards, Writer

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg passed away after a battle with cancer, leaving open a seat that President Trump wants to fill quickly with his nomination of conservative judge Amy Coney Barrett.

Many people believe that R.B.G. fought hard for societal justice for women. Sherika Gray, an English teacher at Discovery Middle School said, “She was a champion of gender equality, workplace discrimination, and sexual assault for older generations.” Mrs. Gray went on to praise her “grit and tenacity” saying “her accomplishments would continue to influence younger generations of women.” A 9th-grade student at Bob Jones High School, Sarah Miller said, “She [Ruth Bader Ginsburg] was an icon for the movement and so many people of all genders, races, sexualities, and religions looked up to her.” 

While R.B.G. did a lifetime of work fighting against gender inequality and seeking justice for women, some feel that her work was overhyped and inflated. Liam Patrick, an 11th-grade student at Bob Jones said she was “a human given immense power by the judicial branch that went to her head.”

Opinions of Ruth Bader Ginsburg vary from person to person. Whether you are an R.B.G. fan or not, her work promoting gender equality and women’s rights cannot go unnoticed. One cannot deny that Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a powerful advocate for human and women’s rights. She continued to be a vocal participant in the Supreme Court until her passing. 

Amy Coney Barrett is currently fielding questions during her own Supreme Court confirmation hearing. During her hearing, she has framed her stance as a “constitutional originalist.” If appointed to the Supreme Court, her rulings would vary considerably from Ginsburg’s.