National Rescue Dog Day

Caroline Brown, Contributor

May 20 is National Rescue Dog Day. This day was founded in 2018 by children’s book author Lisa Wiehebrink. She is also the Executive Director of Tails That Teach, which helps kids learn about the correct way to treat a dog. The inspiration for this day came from Lisa Wiehebrink’s rescue dog, Cooper.  

National Rescue Dog Day was founded to raise awareness about the importance of adopting rescue dogs. Two to three million dogs enter shelters across the United States every year. Most of these dogs have had to overcome extreme obstacles. They have hard times on the streets without shelter or food. Dogs prove to be great friends and are good emotional support for people who suffer from mental health issues. Sophomore John Allison said, “My dog is so energetic, fun, and sweet.”

In a survey, junior Andrew Zamarron said, “I want to rescue a dog; it’d be really nice to give a dog a new home.” In the Huntsville-Madison area, there are many shelters where you can adopt a rescue dog. You can also foster dogs before they get adopted. Some shelters include A New Leash on Life, Madison Animal Rescue Foundation, Friends of Rescue, and The Ark Inc. A good resource to find pet rescues in Huntsville-Madison is petfinder.com. 

If you can not adopt or foster a rescue dog, but want to help, there are a lot of other opportunities. For example, many organizations take donations and need volunteers. Places like A New Leash on Life and Greater Hunstville Humane Society also have thrift stores where you can shop and donate items. A hundred percent of Greater Hunstville Humane Society proceeds go to the shelters. A New Leash on Life uses the proceeds from their thrift store to pay for pets to get spayed/neutered. 

Whether you are a dog person or a cat person, happy National Rescue Dog Day!