#MeToo Campaign

Shelby West, graphic artist

Chloe Henderson, Writer

Recently, there’s been a lot of talk over social media about the #MeToo campaign. It was originally started by Tarana Burke , but recently it started trending. Victims of sexual assault used this hashtag the past couple of weeks, ever since the Harvey Weinstein scandal. Harvey Weinstein, co-founder of Miramax, was accused of sexually assaulting the talent and even staff members. Many celebrities have spoken out about their stories of sexual harassment, bringing back the hashtag that Burke started 10 years ago. 

This hashtag campaign is a powerful way to spread awareness for a serious topic that some people are too scared or ashamed to discuss. 

Bob Jones student Kylee Henrie said, “I don’t think there is enough support [for victims]. Women and men are accused of faking it, and rapists are often ignored. Victims are also blamed for something they had no control over.” Mrs. Worley, a English teacher at Bob Jones and the YAFE sponsor, said that educating people about sexual harassment in the workplace in high school is important “so that young people understand that this is not acceptable behavior, and they have the right to be safe and comfortable in their work environment.

Mrs. Panagos, the multimedia publications teacher, said, “I think that’s the power of a social media campaign like the #MeToo campaign. Too many victims are left feeling like they are to blame, are embarrassed, or are scared. When they see a victim taking on an abuser, especially an abuser who was in a position of power, in a very public forum, I feel like it might empower other victims to speak up about their experience as well, even if they just report it to the police or to their Human Resources department.”

There are things that can be done to help. You can visit the National Sexual Violence Resource Center website today to see what you can do to help raise awareness.

If you are experiencing sexual harassment or sexual abuse, you don’t have to be a celebrity to use the hashtag, and you don’t even have to share your personal experience on social media. You should talk to someone– a school counselor, youth pastor, parent, or even a school resource officer.