Unmasking Student Opinions: Masks

Lily Shelton, Contributor

For almost two years now, COVID-19 has been filling headlines worldwide, concerning many on how they can protect themselves. One big issue that’s been eating away at everyone is whether masks should be worn. Everyone has an opinion on masks, whether the opinion is backed by science or a five-minute Facebook search. After surveying a small group of students, the students’ opinions vary, many leaning towards a neutral stance. One freshman stated, “I feel they are relatively useful, but only when everyone complies.” Another students felt annoyed and irritated with masks though, simply stating, “Masks suck.” 

Regardless of how students feel, what do we know about the experts’ opinions? The CDC has listed on their website that people should wear masks if they are “fully vaccinated and in an area with substantial or high transmission.” Even in certain outdoor settings, the CDC says to “consider wearing a mask in outdoor settings and for activities with close contact with others who are not fully vaccinated.” 

Given that these statements supporting mask usage have been released by the CDC, it’s sensible that masks are required at Bob Jones. After all, the school only wants to protect students and does not want to have a responsibility in any serious hospitalizations. Students agree with Madison City’s course of action as well, stating, “I do think BJHS us doing a good job trying to keep things in line.” To reach normalcy once again, we need to make sacrifices. 

Despite the statements and research supporting masks being public, many still do not wear masks or wear them properly. What’s holding them back? Some students said, “It’s sometimes hard to breathe in masks, and they get in the way”  and “I don’t care if people wear their masks; I don’t even wear mine.” 

Responses like this might lead one to think that we need more of an education about the usefulness of masks in school in a pandemic. Teaching people that although masks may come with certain difficulties, wearing a mask isn’t just for yourself. People can carry COVID-19, vaccinated or not, and still be asymptomatic, so it’s better to be safe rather than sorry.