Stars and Stripes: Taylor Shields

Isabelle Barnes, Writer

It is hard to imagine maintaining good grades and managing four athletic teams.  Senior Taylor Shields did it with a smile on her face.

Managing at least four sports and becoming a personal assistant to several coaches, Taylor Shields took this school by storm during her time here. Hand-picked out of a P.E. class second semester of her sophomore year, Taylor entered the managing world and changed the meaning of the word “manager” forever. Starting in Volleyball and making her way to Basketball and Baseball, Taylor Shields did it all. She was DJ, motivator, chef, personal assistant, babysitter, chauffeur and so much more.

Most people would have cracked under the pressure that managing four sports puts on a person, but not Taylor. Constantly smiling, Taylor has been a light in the hallways of Bob Jones, helping anyone who needed it without hesitation. Practically living at the school, Taylor arrived early and stayed late, whether it was setting up for a volleyball tournament or putting the chairs away after a home basketball game.

Taylor dedicated countless hours to Bob Jones and its athletic teams. When asked why she did it all Taylor responded, “I just liked to. I wasn’t doing anything productive at home, so why not be more productive? And the school needed someone.”

Mr. Parker recognized Taylor’s dedication when he stated in a faculty email: “Taylor Shields has taken care of a lot of people (adults and students) for 2 years. She is up here on Saturdays year round getting venues ready, is the one who sets up for scholarship signings, and does more than any student manager I’ve ever seen.”

Taylor signed with the University of West Alabama and will manage their softball team.