Interviews for Inspiration

Masi Barnes, Editor

College.

For many high school students that word can send shivers down your spine and cause you to break into a nervous sweat. Fear no more, Mrs. Roberts, the Bob Jones college and career counselor has got you covered!

Mrs. Roberts, along with Samuel Jackson, our SGA president, and Jordan Cozby, our Vice President have been conducting interviews with former Bob Jones students who are now attending elite colleges. So far, they have interviewed two students, Kenneth Fu who attends Harvard University and Fred Daso who attends MIT.

In these interviews the former Bob Jones students give you all the ins and outs of what it takes to get accepted into an elite college. So what exactly is an ‘elite’ college? Mrs. Roberts defined elite college as “colleges that have a very low acceptance rate.” Among the top elite colleges in the U.S. are Stanford, Harvard, and Colombia University.

Mrs. Roberts got the idea for the interviews when former students stopped by and shared their experiences throughout the application process and their time at college. She realized what an effect their experiences could have on current students at Bob Jones and decided to record and post them on Youtube to reach a wider range of students. She then reached out to Jordan and Samuel to make the interviews happen. “Bob Jones has done an amazing job over the past several years in preparing students academically and logistically for college and future plans. The College and Career office is an important resource for our students and I think the interviews highlighted how our school system prepared them extremely well,” said Jordan Cozby.

The goal Mrs. Roberts has for the interviews is to inspire students to work hard and pursue their dreams. “When students see what former Bob Jones students have accomplished, they feel like they can meet their own personal goals as well. It does not matter if it is to attend a 2-year college or join the military, the intention is for them to set personal goals and work to achieve them,” said Mrs. Roberts.

Soon Mrs. Roberts will have more interviews from students attending UAB, UAH, and Auburn. Make sure you check out the videos HERE to get tons of tips and advice when submitting your applications.