Bringing Harper Lee’s Story to Life

Shandi Burrows, Writer

Everyone at Bob Jones reads TKAM by Harper Lee in Freshman English. This novel brings up important discussions of race and how to deal with racism in society.  Harper Lee brought these pivotal points to the forefront in 1960, and now Bob Jones Patriot Players will be presenting this famous novel as a play in May 2017.

Along with the excitement of performing a well-loved novel, the cast has also had some questions and concerns about the production. A very prominent feature of the book is the use of the n-word and how it is used to attack other people for simply being different.

“At the beginning of the year we discussed the use of the n-word in the book as well as the play, and discussed whether or not we would be using it. After careful consideration of the pros and cons, we came to the conclusion that the n-word is used for a reason. It is used to show the blunt racism and discrimination against a group of people just because of the color of their skin” said cast member, Kafui Sakyi-Addo.

Students will most likely be shocked when they hear it at first, but hopefully they will understand and take it for what it is suppose to represent.

Kemi Anderson said “I think it is definitely needed right now. I think it’ll be a good show and I’m excited to do it.”

Auditions were held on Wednesday, January 11th and resulted in the following casting (Some of the roles are double cast):

Scout – Maggie Moore and Addie McAbee

Atticus – Seth Slaton

Jem – Andrew McCauley

Calpurnia – Kemi Anderson and Nirah Burwell

Arthur Radley (Boo) – Alex Clark

Judge Taylor – Xander Voigt

Walter Cunningham – Jared Odom

Dill – Justin Peel

Tom Robinson – Isaiah Battle and Zach Moss

Helen Robinson – Kafui Sakyi-Addo

Maudie Atkinson – Ashley Anderson and Basia Marotta

Heck Tate – Guerin Tidwell

Bob Ewell – Jack Richter

Mayella Ewell – Olivia Carroll and Anna Spengler

Mr. Gilmer – Brendan Worley

Reginald Dalsper the Donkey Trainer – Split between Justin Peel and Andrew McCauley

Mrs. Dubose – Sam Stratton and Sarah-Grace Tucker

Stephanie Crawford – Bonnie Dickerson and Suzie Glover

Link Deas (name will change) – Breanna Allen

Rev Sykes – Jaylen Brown and Kamron Sanderfer