Charissa Roth Becomes Bryant-Jordan Award Winner

Lakyn Shepard, Writer

The Bryant-Jordan Award is designed to reward student-athletes who have overcome some kind of obstacle or hardship to attain success. Charissa Roth, a varsity soccer player here at Bob Jones High School, was nominated for the award.

In 2009 Charissa’s mom, Katherine Roth, was diagnosed with breast cancer. After fighting long and hard, in November 2015 she lost her battle against breast cancer. Charissa was 16 years old when her mother passed. Her mom was her first coach and is the reason why Charissa continues to play today.

Charissa said, “With school, work, soccer, and taking care of my sisters while my mom was ill, my schedule was pretty crazy and as much as I wanted to just give up, I didn’t. To me, my outstanding support system was the biggest reason why I received this award because I don’t think I could’ve made it through without them.” Charissa continued, ”When I was chosen I honestly didn’t know whether it was a good thing or a bad thing. I thought I was getting an award for getting my heart torn out. But then, I understood what it was really for and I really appreciated everyone’s support.”

Charissa’s coach and her teammates agree that she is perfect for the award. 

Girl’s varsity soccer coach, Luke Oakley said, “Charissa has never once used her tragedy or the fact that she has a much more prominent family role as an excuse in any way. She is truly and inspiration to me, and one of many reasons I continue to get more fulfillment out of life by being the Bob Jones coach.”

One the teammates, Ashleigh Pyle stated, “She is a very respected person that everyone enjoys to be around. She has gone through and continues to go through so many hardships throughout her life. She is very strong and does not let the tough times get her down.”

Another teammate of Charissa’s, Hannah Earnst said, “As hard things get thrown at her, it only seems to make her work harder and be better all around. She never takes no for answer, even when no seems to be the only option. I’ve never met anyone quite like her honestly. She deserved this award because she didn’t stay down when life pushed her, she got up even when she couldn’t. She’s a remarkable girl and definitely the best friend I have ever encountered. ”

Lastly, Charissa wanted to give a shout out to a few people who mean dearly to her. “Just wanted to recognize my very best friend, Jasmine Conkin, and her family who were by my side through it all and Hannah Earnst and her family as well. I love y’all.”