March on Madison: The Band Takes the Field

Bob Jones HS Competition Band during performance at Hendersonville High School (2017).

Ashton Jah, Writer

Near the peak of the season, the Bob Jones Marching Patriots await to take the field in exhibition here. During a night of fun, entertainment, and music, numerous spectacular performances from ensembles across the area will perform to their home-crowd in the fifth annual March on Madison event Tuesday, September 26th.

Along with the typical lineup, including Bob Jones, James Clemens, and Discovery Middle, this year’s event will also host marching bands from Huntsville High School, Madison Academy, and Athens High School.

“We wanted to encourage a sense of unity and camaraderie. We have such strong local talent, and we wanted to create a night where we all come together to support each other without competition being involved,” Bob Jones Director of Bands, Leigh Thomas mentioned. “North Alabama is home to some of the best bands in the state, and we’re excited to keep growing this event to showcase that.”

Bob Jones will perform two shows: the football halftime show, a radio show performance featuring selections from “25 or 6 to 4,” “Free Ride,” and “Separate Ways,” as well as the competition show, entitled “Luminous.” Assistant Director Kevin Smart suggests looking for the views of classic music in the football show, and the incorporation of light in the competition show.

Although this event is not a competition, it is taken very seriously among members. Senior band member and section leader Emily Jenkins stated, “[March on Madison] is a great opportunity for friends and family to watch our show that otherwise would not be able to at a competition. It’s also good because we can perform to our community and show what the support goes towards.”

Thomas also expressed a similar sentiment, stating, “It is always a great feeling to show our competition show to a home crowd. To showcase the hard work of our students with two contrasting performances is a great thing year after year.”

This year’s event will be held at at the Madison City Stadium at 6 pm. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased from a band member or at the gate.

When asked about the unique aspects of the event, Smart mentioned, “March on Madison is special because it gives local bands a chance to showcase their shows to area crowds. It provides a more laid back experience for bands to listen and appreciate each other’s shows.”

March on Madison is known for presenting stellar performances and creating a night full of entertainment and excitement. This is an event you do not want to miss.

Join the band and many others on Tuesday to explore the true nature of the programs and to discover the amazing talent across our area.

For more information on the event, please contact one of the directors or visit http://www.bjhsband.com.

• March on Madison: The Band Takes the Field

Showcase

Homecoming Court of 2017

Showcase

Poe Day 2017

Showcase

Bob Jones Defeats Sparkman 3-0

Showcase

Poetry Out Loud 2017

Showcase

Our Australian Friends

Showcase

Halftime is Our Time

Showcase

Pep Rally of the Week

Showcase

BJ Senior Girls Activities

Showcase

Patriot Racing Competes at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Showcase

CPR Saves Lives!