Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Casey Kula, Writer

Starting January 17th, Bob Jones High School is adding a new Patriot Path that will help girls in a developing country obtain the necessities they need. Brandy Van Dam and Kristy Wheeler, who teach Educational Training and Family and Consumer Science classes respectively, are working with the organization Days for Girls that helps collect hygiene products for girls in a variety of places.

Even if some students do not want to go to the Patriot Path, they can help by donating supplies to create these care packages. Students can drop off supplies at the front office or to either Van Dam or Wheeler’s rooms.

Bright patterns of 100% cotton fabric and 100% flannel fabric, Ziploc gallon freezer bags (the kind that does not have a slider), underwear (size 10-14 girls), travel size soap, and new washcloths are some of the necessities that students can donate.

Any student is allowed to sign up for these Patriot Paths to create the care packages. The Patriot Path will go until Spring Break so interested students will have many opportunities to sign up and help the cause. There will be multiple activities students can do during the Patriot Path- from sewing the bags to sorting donation items.

Van Dam is bringing the care packages for distribution during Spring Break. Girls in a village in Campion, Haiti will obtain these packages.

“This is a trip I will make every year, so I’m looking forward to keeping this going! Days for Girls is the non-profit organization that created the idea for the kits,” Van Dam stated. She believes this will inspire many students into helping the world around them.

The Patriot Path is intriguing students and many think it is an amazing idea. When Van Dam presented the project to one of her classes, some of her students expressed interest in how it could make the community and the world a better place.

Bob Jones freshman Grace Hannah said, “Mrs. Van Dam’s Patriot Paths are important because we get a chance to help those who are not as “privileged” as us. This could help grow character and show kindness. We should always strive to help everyone we can because that is how you make the world a better place.”

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Showcase

Senior Farewell 2018

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Showcase

Revealing Bob Jones: Bringing Yearbook Pages to Life

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Showcase

Bob Jones Spring Art Show 2018

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Showcase

Senior Picnic: Fun in the Sun

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Showcase

SWE: Welding an Interest in Engineering

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Showcase

Dunkin’ for a Good Cause

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Showcase

Junie B. Jones: Not Just Kids’ Comedy

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Showcase

Pie In the Face: Autism Awareness Month!

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Featured Sports Story Carousel

Latin Is Not Dead Yet, It’s Just Roman Around

• Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls

Showcase

Math Team: The Best of the Best

Van Dam and Wheeler’s Day for Girls