There’s No Business Like Show Business

Jaylen Brown, Writer

The Bob Jones Patriot Players are back and better than ever!  The Bob Jones Patriot Players took their one-act play “The Recovery Act” written by B. Dwayne Craft to the state Trumbauer competition where they won best in show alongside Hoover High School, but what do they do now? 

Now they have to prepare for SETC where they will compete against even more one-acts against in the southeastern region of the United States. It is a tremendous honor to receive this recognition, but it comes with a hefty price tag.  Including the price of hotel rooms, registration, transportation, set trucks and substitutes for Mr. Craft and Mrs. Davis, the total cost of the trip comes out to approximately $38,500.To counteract some of the cost, the Patriot Players have been utilizing multiple fundraising tactics.

Mr. Craft wrote letters to local officials and solicited the help of fundraising company Snap-Raise. Craft said, “I wasn’t pleased with Snap-Raise. We have had the most success with t-shirt sales and beg letters.”

Jasmin Watson raised $1600 all by herself. She said, “I’m excited, well, confident about SETC.” when asked how effective the fundraisers were she said “Could we possibly use the rock and roll fingers emoji?”

Stage manager Jaylen Turner who had his whole portion of the trip paid for within the first week said this about SETC: “I’m stressed!” Carmen Retzer, fellow stage manager said, “SETC is expensive and a lot sooner than people think, but it is a great opportunity for us to showcase our talents and get the recognition we deserve.”

Fundraising is far from over and the Patriot Players still have a while to go before their goal is met. They recently partnered with Dominoes for a pizza-themed spirit night they also have a benefit showing of “The Recovery Act” coming up on February 22nd.

You can buy tickets from any advanced production student for $10. Break a leg, Bob Jones.