Patriot Paws Lends a Helping Hand

Payton Childress, Writer

Patriot Paws is a group of animal-loving students who love to help local organizations with supply drives, adoption events, and volunteering. This club is sponsored by Nicole Coker at Bob Jones. Patriot Paws supports MARF, FOR, Athens, Scottsboro, and Hunstville animal shelters, Felines & Canines Rescue Center, and a New Leash on Life. To be in Patriot Paws, students must have at least two service hours a semester, which is pretty easy to get. Students can volunteer at shelters or donate food and pet supplies.

Recently, Bob Jones and James Clemens students teamed up at Felines & Canines Rescue Center in Owens Crossroads. Students helped walk the dogs and played with them, and they moved big bags of dog food and many blankets. Aubrey Anne Richards said, “We helped them walk the dogs and clean up the facility. I personally walked a dog that I think was called Dave. Some of the animals previously have been abused, and I want to help animal shelters because they need all the help they can get.”

Mrs. Coker said, “Felines and Canines’ ‘Hunter Stephenson’ Rescue Center is the first of its kind in the country. They recently won the ASPCA Henry Bergh Award for saving 3737 lives in the short time the facility has been in operation. They serve as a safe house for cats and dogs who are in danger of being euthanized in local shelters until they can be transported to the mid-west or northern states where there are many more adopters. FCRC is always in need of monetary donations and supplies to continue carrying out their mission to end the euthanization of animals in North Alabama. They also need volunteers who can help care for the animals just as BJHS and JC students have done.”

The club is also active with other local facilities. In Athens, Patriot Paws volunteers with Athens Dog Pound. Patriot Paws will walk the dogs on November 23. In the past, students also volunteered with Huntsville Animal Services. The club currently helps with their adoption events at Pet Supplies Plus on Saturdays. Patriot Paws also makes donations to Scottsboro Animal Control.

Next week (Nov 4-10) is Animal Shelter Appreciation week. If you’d like to volunteer or if you’re interested in adopting a pet, check out the following facilities:

MARF

Felines and Canines Rescue Center

FOR

New Leash on Life

If you’d like to join Patriot Paws, you can see Mrs. Coker.