SGA and Others Clean Up Nicely

photos provided by SGA

Mackenzie Edwards, Writer

Earlier in the week, the Bob Jones SGA invited any other interested clubs to join them on Sunday afternoon for a voluntary school work day.

Mrs. Kersteins, an SGA sponsor, said, “As you know Bob Jones was broken into last weekend. This weekend we would like to turn the table by voluntarily unlocking doors and inviting students to make a positive impact by cleaning classrooms and the school. We hope to start next week off on a positive tone and prevent the spread of the flu.”

Over the course of the previous weekend, someone broke into Bob Jones High School, leaving a mess behind. They managed to open one of the back door entrances and broke one of the fire sprinklers next to the auditorium. The water from the sprinkler filled the one hallway and rose about 4 inches from the ground. 

Maggie Brown, a theatre student, weighed in on the incident. “Several racks of costumes were damaged, there is a permanent waterline on the auditorium curtains, and our cyc system and half of our lighting equipment is gone. Over 3,000 dollars was lost.” There is still little information about the incident, but the situation is currently being investigated.

SGA, along with several other clubs, wanted to end the week on a positive note. In addition to wiping down the auditorium, students wiped down the lunch room, classrooms, and Common areas of the school to help combat the flu. As of last week, school nurse Mrs. Kasulka reported that there had been 33 cases of flu at Bob Jones since Christmas break. 

Senior Lily Hughes thought the effort was inspirational. “Anything that gets kids back into being helpful around the community is awesome!” Caleb Curles agreed. “I’m very glad that the drama department has a lot of support inside the school, and I’m so very thankful for Mrs. Lambert and her husband for working hard to save everything.”

Even though a bad event happened, students did indeed “turn the table” to make a positive impact.