BJHS Wins the National Blue Ribbon School Award

Maggie Brown, Writer

This week, Bob Jones High School received one of the highest academic honors in the nation: the National Blue Ribbon School Award! Out of 130,000 K-12 schools in the nation, only 317 public schools were honored by the U.S. Department of Education. “It’s a privilege to recognize the extraordinary work you do to meet student’s needs and prepare them for successful careers and meaningful lives,” said Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos. Teachers, faculty, and students alike are celebrating this huge national accomplishment as they look back on their hard work and academic achievements over the past several years. 

The award recognizes outstandingly high-performing schools, exemplifying distinction through state and nation assessments. “Collectively, we have created a culture that fosters building and maintaining positive relationships with our students,” said Bob Jones Principal Sylvia Lambert. “Our faculty members are supported by practical professional development, mentoring and collaborating with other colleagues.” It is this sense of inclusion and excellence that the Blue Ribbon Award honors. In ordinary circumstances, Principal Lambert would fly to Washington, D.C. to attend a commemorative ceremony, but this year she will be attending a virtual session held by the U.S. Department of Education on November 12th and 13th. 

Bob Jones is one of five Alabama public schools nominated, along with New Century Technology High School, Hewitt-Trussville High School, John S. Jones Elementary School, and Cleburne County Elementary School. The school will receive a plaque as well as an NBR program flag, which will be displayed in the lobby. As Bob Jones forges ahead with combined learning and continues its tradition of academic excellence, it recognizes its interdependence with the Madison City School System at large. Though BJHS ultimately received the award, it is indicative of the whole community’s emphasis on outstanding achievement. When asked how the school board will continue to provide for students, Principal Lambert said, “With this recognition, I hope we can attract new business partnerships within our community that help prepare our students for the global job market, to strengthen communication & networking skills, and to learn to be outstanding citizens.” Award or not, Bob Jones remains a place where students and teachers can thrive.